Skip to main content

What intakes are open to me in Canada?

Canada offers study intakes in different periods. Many international students keep applying to schools in Canada because of their trusted educational system. But how do you know which intake is best for you as an international student? We have put together the different study intakes available to students (indigenous and international) aspiring to study in Canada.

Fall in Canada

Fall intake

This intake is the primary study intake in Canada for international students. During the fall season, many universities open up semesters for classes. Normally between September to December, this intake is most preferred by international students. Fall intake comes with a lot of opportunities for students to study different programs. Compared to the winter period, students who apply to study in the fall term get to understand the environment and prepare for the winter season.

Some institutions in Canada with study intakes in the Fall:

  • Queen University
  • University of Toronto
  • Lakehead University
  • University of McGill
  • University of Montreal
  • University of Alberta
  • Western University
  • University of Waterloo
  • George Brown College
  • University of Calgary
  • Columbia College
Winter study intake

Winter Intake

This study intake is usually between January to April. This intake is not as preferred as the fall intake. Winter intake follows immediately after the fall intake. Although quite a number of schools open up for this intake, only a few seats are made available during this intake. International students also find the cold weather to be difficult to deal with in this season. International students should apply to this intake between September and November. Contact an advisor to get started.

Some institutions in Canada with study intakes in the Winter:

  • Carleton University
  • Royal Roads University
  • Fanshawe College
  • Mount Allison University
  • Trent University
  • Centennial College
  • Lambton College
  • Douglas College
  • McGill University
  • Lakehead University
  • Ontario University
  • Cape Breton University
Summer Canada

Summer/Spring Intake

Usually, between May to August, this intake is the least popular in Canada. The summer intake in Canada is considered the least preferred intake for international students to study in Canada. Only a few institutions in Canada open for admission to this intake. Few seats are made available for courses open for this intake. To study in this period, students are expected to have applied by February. International students are to speak to an advisor before applying for this intake.

Some Canadian Institutions with intakes in summer period:

  • University of Manitoba
  • Carleton University
  • Lakehead University
  • University of Ottawa
  • University of Alberta
  • University of British Columbia
  • Mount Saint Vincent University
  • Brock University
  • University Canada West
  • Ontario University
  • University of Calgary
  • New York Institute of Technology
  • University of the Fraser Valley

These study intakes are available to both citizens of the country and international students. There are many other schools offering different program options in Canada. In whatever decision you make as regards your study application to Canada, speak with an advisor.

If you found this helpful, kindly drop a comment, like, and share this post with friends.

Reach out to us via or contact us here to get started on your application.

Leave a Reply