Skip to main content

The Canada Experience Class is a PR pathway for international students and skilled workers with Canadian experience who want to get a permanent residency. It is one of the three federal programs that is managed through Express Entry which is Canada’s application system for skilled workers. 


To apply for the Canada Experience Class you must 

meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability

  • writing
  • reading
  • listening
  • speaking
  • have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada altogether, in the last 3 years before you apply—you can meet this in a few different ways:
    • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time work: e.g. 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours)
      • You can work as many part-time jobs as you need to meet this requirement.
    • full-time work at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1-year full-time (1,560 hours)
  • have gained your work experience by working in Canada during your temporary stay with the authorization to work


You’re not eligible for the Canadian Experience Class if

  • you’re a refugee claimant in Canada
  • you’re working without authorization
  • your work experience was gained without temporary resident status in Canada

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification skilled work experience means work experience gained in TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3 job categories. Your work experience can be in 1 or more of these categories.

You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.


There is no education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class.

If you want to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool for immigration purposes, there are 2 ways you can do this.

Canada Experience Class
  • If you went to school in Canada, you can get points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
    • secondary institution (high school) or
    • post-secondary institution


  • If you have foreign education, you can get points for:
    • a completed foreign credential, and
    • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report for immigration purposes from a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:
      • secondary institution (high school) or
      • post-secondary institution


You must:

  1. meet the minimum language level of:
  • Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for TEER 0 or TEER 1 job or
  • Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for TEER 2 or TEER 3 jobs
  1. take approved language tests for:
  • writing
  • reading
  • listening
  • speaking
  1. describe the test results in your Express Entry Profile

Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result and must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.


You must be allowed to come to Canada. Some people aren’t allowed to come to Canada. They’re “inadmissible” under Canda immigration law

Canada Experience Class

A Canadian immigration officer will decide if you can enter Canada when you:

  • apply for a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) or
  • when you arrive at a port of entry.

There are different reasons one may not be allowed into Canada, such as security, criminal or medical reasons.


You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec. The province of Quebec selects its skilled workers if you plan on living in Quebec.

When you fill out your profile, we’ll ask you where you plan to live in Canada. You don’t have to settle in that province or territory. 


You don’t need to upload documents to submit a profile, but you may need information from some or all of these documents:

  1. A passport or travel document
  • Venezuelan passport holders: You may need to complete extra steps when you create a profile or fill out your application.
  1. Language test results
  2. Proof of Canadian education or an educational credential assessment report for immigration purposes if
  • You’re applying through the Federal Skilled Workers Program, or
  • You want to get points for the education you got outside of Canada
  1. Provincial nomination (if you have one)
  2. Written job offer from an employer in Canada (if you have one), proof of work experience, certificate of qualification in a trade occupation issued by a Canadian province or territory (if you have one)
  3. Proof of funds.

Are you interested in getting a PR to Canada? Then Apply Here

Are you ready to start your admission process to Canada? Apply Here 

Leave a Reply